Monday, April 25, 2011

The day after Anzac Day... for me is very sombre. Normally I would have attended at least one service and honoured my late partner and my Grandpa at our local RSL in Watsonia, where Grandpa marched every year. This year I had family commitments which together with airport delays took away my ability to reflect and honour two men I loved more than anything.

This morning I walked the dogs down to the RSL and held my own service in front of the many wreaths and flowers left from yesterday. We left our own note in memory of Capt Paul Lawton (1969-2006) and Lindsay Campbell (1921-2009). The dogs were very respectful, dropping at the little shrine and watching intently as I paid my respects.





I spent some time at the War Memorial in Canberra yesterday, I will endevour to copy the photos from my phone onto here (seems way beyond my technological prowess but I'll give it a go).

In Flanders’ Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders’ Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders’ Fields.

Lest we forget....




This last photo is of Paul's medals. He never bothered to collect them in life (too hard basket) so I was presented with them after his funeral, along with his Beret (which I had passed on for use during the service) and the Australian flag. I have these items placed on his ashes in the study... where he spent most of his spare time... so I can ask him for help when the computer gets the best of me (which it often does).

We will remember them...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment